Opening new insights in the fields of Biotechnology, the Department of Zoology, University of Sri Jayewardenepura establishes a Centre for Biotechnology, in order to cater the research needs in the fields of biotechnological applications for timely issues in science in Sri Lanka. Further, the centre looks forward to welcome and encourage national and international collaborations in multidisciplinary fields of biotechnology, to progress in developing quality research for national development.
To uphold leadership in the pursuit and purpose of knowledge through quality and relevant research development, consultancy as well as promoting entrepreneurship to produce human resource tailored to drive innovation in biotechnology.
To create an institutional space for research, education, and community outreach guided by sound academic, scientific and ethical principles.
a. To build a Multidisciplinary Research Centre in Molecular Biology and Biotechnology in the Department of Zoology
b. To conduct high quality research projects to solve the timely issues in science, Sri Lanka
c. To contribute to the national development by initiating industry orientated research capacity
d. To contribute in knowledge dissemination in scientific community
e. To promote centralized facilities for new and modern techniques in the interdisciplinary areas of biology
f. To enhance research skills, through proper guidance and encouragement
- Prof. B.G.D.N.K. de Silva (Director) – Department of Zoology, University of Sri Jayewardenepura
- Prof. Pathmalal Manage – Department of Zoology, University of Sri Jayewardenepura
- Prof. Nazeera Salim – Department of Botany, University of Sri Jayewardenepura
- Prof. D. Peiris – Department of Zoology, University of Sri Jayewardenepura
- Dr. C. Chandrasekaran – Department of Chemistry, University of Colombo – Invited
- Dr. J. Weerasena – Institute of Biochemistry Molecular Biology and Biotechnology – Invited
- Senior Assistant Bursar – Invited
The Centre of Biotechnology, Department of Zoology is facilitated by the strong academic skills and laboratory facilities for Molecular Biology, Vector Biology, Marine Biology and Microbial ecology