Opening new insights in the fields of Biotechnology, the Department of Zoology, University of Sri Jayewardenepura establishes a Centre for Biotechnology, in order to cater the research needs in the fields of biotechnological applications for timely issues in science in Sri Lanka. Further, the centre looks forward to welcome and encourage national and international collaborations in multidisciplinary fields of biotechnology, to progress in developing quality research for national development.
To uphold leadership in the pursuit and purpose of knowledge through quality and relevant research development, consultancy as well as promoting entrepreneurship to produce human resource tailored to drive innovation in biotechnology.
To create an institutional space for research, education, and community outreach guided by sound academic, scientific and ethical principles.
a. To build a Multidisciplinary Research Centre in Molecular Biology and Biotechnology in the Department of Zoology
b. To conduct high quality research projects to solve the timely issues in science, Sri Lanka
c. To contribute to the national development by initiating industry orientated research capacity
d. To contribute in knowledge dissemination in scientific community
e. To promote centralized facilities for new and modern techniques in the interdisciplinary areas of biology
f. To enhance research skills, through proper guidance and encouragement
- Prof. B.G.D.N.K. de Silva (Director) – Department of Zoology, University of Sri Jayewardenepura
- Prof. Pathmalal Manage – Department of Zoology, University of Sri Jayewardenepura
- Prof. Nazeera Salim – Department of Botany, University of Sri Jayewardenepura
- Prof. D. Peiris – Department of Zoology, University of Sri Jayewardenepura
- Dr. C. Chandrasekaran – Department of Chemistry, University of Colombo – Invited
- Dr. J. Weerasena – Institute of Biochemistry Molecular Biology and Biotechnology – Invited
- Senior Assistant Bursar – Invited
The Centre of Biotechnology, Department of Zoology is facilitated by the strong academic skills and laboratory facilities for Molecular Biology, Vector Biology, Marine Biology and Microbial ecology
- All Publications (the author affiliations should have been indicated as with your Centre) – Evidence of each paper in hardcopy form should be submitted.
- Indexed Journals (Authors, application, Title, Journal. Vol. pg. etc)
- Authors: Fernando, D., Wijesundera, R., Soysa, P., de Silva, E.D., Nanayakkara, C., Adhikari, A., De Silva, B.G.D.N.K.
Application: Novel drug development for cancer
Title: Novel method to isolate inoscavin A from Fulvifomes fastuosus thereof its application as a novel drug lead for rhabdomyosarcoma
Journal: Nature Chemical Biology
- Authors: Prasadini, M., Fernando, H.S.D., Dayananda P.D., Harischandra, I.N., De Silva, B.G.D.N.K.
Application: In relation to blood feeding preference
Title: Blood feeding preference of female Aedes aegypti mosquitoes for human blood group types and its impact on their fecundity: Implications for vector control
Journal: Journal of the American Mosquito Control Association
b.Publication of Conference Proceedings (Authors, application, Title, Journal. Vol. pg. etc.)
- Authors: Hegoda, W.K.D.L., Fernando, H.S.D. & De Silva B.G.D.N.K.
Application: Related to the dengue threat in Sri Lanka
Title: Detecting of knock-down resistance (kdr) F1534C allele in the dengue vector Aedes aegypti in Colombo South Peri –urban area.
Conference: Proceedings of the Sri Lanka Association for Advancement in Science (SLAAS)
Date: 04-08th December, 2017
Venue: Open University of Sri Lanka
c. Keynote Addresses (Authors, application, Title, Journal. Vol. pg. etc.)
Keynote address at the “Second National Symposium on Current Research Activities on Dengue” conducted by the Molecular Medicine Unit, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ragama on 19th December 2017.
Conducted by: Prof. B.G.D.N.K. de Silva
Title of the Lecture: Recent insights into dengue vector control
d. Any other publications (Books, Book chapters, reports etc.)
Report published in Vidurawa Magazine (Publication of National Science Foundation) on “Entomological Aspects in Dengue” in both Sinhala and English medium.
Writer: Prof. B.G.D.N.K. de Silva
Published in December 2017