In keeping with the expansion of activities of Faculty of Medical Sciences of University of Sri Jayewardenepura in the health sector, the Center for Independent Drug Quality Assurance (CIDQA) has been initiated recently. Drug quality assurance and quality control is a part of Pharmaceutical Analysis which is one of the key areas in the Bachelor of Pharmacy degree program conducted by our faculty. Involvement of universities in supporting the national drug quality assurance program has not taken place so far. The Faculty of Medical Sciences of University of Sri Jayewardenepura is keen and interested in marking a significant contribution to the national drug control system by establishing an independent drug quality assurance laboratory. Furthermore, the proposed laboratory will serve to ensure the patient safety so that as a result, the public will enjoy the privilege of obtaining drugs with best efficacy at all times. On the other hand it will serve as the bridge linking the Faculty of Medical Sciences and the Pharmaceutical Industry. The laboratory will also serve as a prototype for drug quality assurance in Sri Lanka and play an important role in promoting the local pharmaceutical industry to meet with international standards such as current GMP. The laboratory will be headed by Dr. Jayantha Wijayabandara who was responsible for establishing the Drug Quality Assurance Laboratory of State Pharmaceuticals Corporation of Sri Lanka in 1998. CIDQA would be a definite step towards strengthening Sri Lanka’s overall potential of drug quality assurance and upgrading pharmacy education.
To create an enabling environment to enhance the strength and the status of national medicines control system.
To uplift the well-being of society through the availability of quality assured medicines based on keen scientific investigations.
1. Ensure the quality of pharmaceutical products imported by private sector organizations.
2. Function as a consulting laboratory for bioequivalence and therapeutic drug monitoring investigations.
3. Function as an independent consulting laboratory for drug quality assurance.
4. Contribute significantly towards the concept of rational use of generic medicines in Sri Lanka
5. Screen pharmaceutical products on the market for their quality and stability and to assist the NDQAL by sharing quality assurance activities.
6. Create and maintain a possible atmosphere for collaboration with the Ministry of Health and the Pharmaceutical Industry.
7. Provide a rich scientific atmosphere requiring for training undergraduates of the B. Pharm degree program particularly in areas such as pharmaceutical analysis, medicinal chemistry, pharmacokinetics, therapeutic drug monitoring and pharmaceutical microbiology.
8. Promote academic pharmaceutical research.
- Dr. Jayantha Wijayabandara (Director) – B.Pharm Degree Program, University of Sri Jayewardenepura
- Prof. Surangi Yasawardena – Dean Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of Sri Jayewardenepura
- Emeritus Professor Gita Fernando – University of Sri Jayewardenepura – Invited
- Prof. Hemantha Peiris – Department of Biochemistry, University of Sri Jayewardenepura
- Dr. Pradeepa Jayawardane – Ex-officio
- Senior Assistant Bursar – Invited External
- Mrs. Amara Pinnawala – Deputy Director, National Drug Quality Assurance Laboratory, Colombo 08