The Research Centre for Management Studies and Commerce was established in 2015 and is the first centre in the faculty dedicated to management related research work in the Faculty of Management Studies and Commerce (FMSC), the pioneering management faculty in Sri Lankan university system, which is regarded as the Centre of Excellence in Management Education in Sri Lanka.
Vision and Mission
The mission of the Centre is to be a prime leading centre for management research, knowledge creation and dissemination. In order to fulfill our mission, the members of the Centre have identified following strategies which define the research process.
a. Promote and facilitate the development of new research initiatives including sub-research centers and enhance broadbased and collaborative research efforts through single or multi-disciplinary fields.
b. Establish strong links between the FMSC and the industry in terms of research, undertaking consultancies from the government and private sector organizations including the Small and Medium Enterprises (SME) sector.
c. Contribute actively to the economic development of the country
a. The purpose of research centre is to promote and facilitate the development of new research initiatives including subresearch centers and to enhance broad-based and collaborative research efforts through single or multi-disciplinary fields.
b. Establishing strong links between the FMSC and the industry in terms of research, undertaking consultancies from the government and private sector organizations including the SME sector.
a. Self generating funds through direct grants and through related programs, workshops, etc. and benefits for researchers, FMSC and the University
b. Contribute actively to the economic development of the country
Prof. Y. K. Weerakon Banda (Director) – Department of Finance, University of Sri Jayewardenepura
Dr. U. Anura Kumara – Department of Business Economics, University of Sri Jayewardenepura
Snr. Prof. H. H. D. N. P. Opatha – Department of Human Resource Management, University of Sri Jayewardenepura
Prof. R. L. S. Fernando – Department of Public Administration, University of Sri Jayewardenepura
Prof. R. G. Ariyawansa – Department of Estate Management and Valuation, University of Sri Jayewardenepura
Prof. B. N. F. Warnakulasooriya – Department of Marketing, University of Sri Jayewardenepura
Prof. K. D. Gunawardena – Department of Accounting, University of Sri Jayewardenepura
Prof. T. M. B. Palawatta – Department of Decision Sciences, University of Sri Jayewardenepura
Prof. D. B. P. H. Dissabandara – Department of Finance, University of Sri Jayewardenepura
Dr. B. J. H. Arachchige – Department of Human Resource Management, University of Sri Jayewardenepura
Dr. M. S. S. Perera – Department of Business Economics, University of Sri Jayewardenepura
Dr. K. A. S. K. Kariyapperuma – Department of Business Administration, University of Sri Jayewardenepura
Dr. K. S. L. Gunawardena – Department of Information Technology, University of Sri Jayewardenepura
Dr. P. G. S. A. Jayaratne – Department of Marketing, University of Sri Jayewardenepura
Dr. A. R. Ajward – Department of Accounting, University of Sri Jayewardenepura y Senior Assistant Bursar – Invited
- K.M.V. Sachitra; “Review of Competitive Advantage Measurements: Reference on Agribusiness Sector” Journal of Scientific Research and Reports, Vol 12 (6). pp 1-11. (Issn:2320-0227)
- Chandana Gunathilaka; “Reversed Size, Book-to-Market and Momentum Effects: A Review of Malaysian Equity Returns Behavior” Advanced Science Letters, (a SCOPUS journal published by American Scientific Publishers) Vol 23 (1), pp 15–19
- A.D.N. Gunarathne and Prof. Samanthi Senaratne; “Diffusion of Integrated Reporting in an Emerging South Asian (SAARC) Nation”, Managerial Auditing Journal [MAJ – B ranked Journal as per ABDC journal ranking], Vol. 32 No. 4/5 pp. 524-548
- Chandana Gunathilaka; “Illiquidity, Investor Sentiment and Stock Returns: Evidence from Malaysia” International Journal of Economics and Financial [SCOPUS, and EconLit indexed; ABDC ranked] Vol 7 (4), pp. 478-487
- (Mrs) P.G.S.A. Jayarathne; “Mediating Role of Fashion Consciousness on Cosmopolitanism and Status Consumption of Young Fashion Consumers in Sri Lanka” International Journal of Applied Business and Economic Research [full paper has been accepted for publication by the SCOPUS indexed journal]
- Kumari, J.S., Ajward, A.R., and Dissabandara, D.B.P.H.; “The Audit Expectations Gap and the Role of Audit Education: Evidence from Sri Lanka”;Vidyodaya Journal of Management
- Gunarathne, G.C.I., and Kumarasiri, W.D.C.K.T.; “Impact of Lean Utilization on Operational Performance: A Study of Sri Lankan Textile and Apparel Industry”; Vidyodaya Journal of Management
- Moghavvemi, S., Phoong, S.W., and Lee S.T.; “Impact of Perceived Desirability, Perceived Feasibility and Performance Expectancy on Use of IT Innovation: Technology Adoption Decisions and Use Behavior”;Vidyodaya Journal of Management
- Gunathilaka, C.; “Investor Sentiment and Asset Pricing: A Review”; Vidyodaya Journal of Management
- A.A.J. Fernando, Dehigama, N.D.P., Igel, B., and Goel, G.; “The Link between Creativity and Credibility with Sustainable Growth of Entrepreneurial Firms: Evidence from Sri Lanka”, Journal of Global Business Advancement, Vol.10, No 05, pp 210-226
- K.G.P.K. Weerakoon; “Analysis of Spatio-temporal Urban Growth using GIS Integrated Urban Gradient Analysis; Colombo District, Sri Lanka”, American Journal of Geographic Information System 2017, Vol 6(3): pp. 83-89
- K.G.P.K. Weerakoon; “GIS Integrated Spatio-Temporal Urban Growth Modelling: Colombo Urban Fringe, Sri Lanka”, Journal of Geographic Information System 2017, Vol 9, pp. 372-389
- M.A.K. Sriyalatha; “Factors contributing to student’s academic performance: A case of University of Sri Jayewardenepura, Sri Lanka”, Sri Lanka Journal of Business Economics (SLJBE) Vol 6
- D.W.K. Hemachandra; “Incentives for adoption of Environmental Management Practices among textile and apparel manufacturers in Sri Lanka”, Sri Lanka Journal of Business Economics (SLJBE) Vol 6
- Senior Prof. R. Lalitha S. Fernando; “Determinants of Academic Performance of Undergraduates of the Faculty of Management Studies and Commerce of the University of Sri Jayewardenepura in Sri Lanka”, International Journal of Social Sciences, ISSN 2454-5899, Vol 3 (2), PP. 1077-1101
- M.S. Weerasinghe and Senior Prof. R. Lalitha S. Fernando; “Students’ satisfaction in Higher Education in Sri Lanka”, American Journal of Educational Research, Vol. 5 (5), pp. 533-539
peer review indexed publications
- Y.K.Weerakoon Banda; Accepted and final reviewing process: “Triangulation Approach in financial Research: How to Proceed?” Qualitative Research in Financial Markets
- D.S.R Maheepala, B.N.F Warnakulasooriya, Y.K. Weerakoon Banda: Forthcoming paper: “Servitization and Business Performance in Developing Countries: An evidence from Sri Lanka”;International Journal of Services Sciences
- Jayasooriya, S.D., Gunawardana, K.D. and Yatiwella, W.B. (2017); “Intellectual Capital Disclosure Practices of Annual Reports in Sri Lanka”;Accounting and Finance Research, www.sciedupress.com/afr.
- Jayasooriya, S.D., Gunawardana, K.D. and Yatiwella, W.B. (2017); “A Study of the Evolution and Contemporary Development of Disclosure Practices of Annual Reports in Sri Lanka”;ASL Journal
- R.G. Ariyawansa and Mr. W.H.T. Gunawardhana, 23rd Pacific Real Estate Society (PRRES) Annual Conference held in Sydney, NSW, Australia from 15th to 18th January 2017. “ Property Standards on Property Management and Property Values: Analysis residential property sector in Colombo, Sri Lanka”
- C.P. Dabare, ICARE (2nd International Conference for Accounting Research Education) at the University of Kelaniya on 11th January 2016. ” Strategic Perspectives of Market of Accountants: A case of Sri Lanka”
- C.P. Dabare, ICAM (International Conference on Advanced Marketing) at Hotel Galadari on 26th and 27th January 2017. “The Strategic Perspectives of Accounting Education Market: A Case of Sri Lanka”
- Dilan Rathnayake, International Conference on Advanced Marketing organized by the University of Kelaniya on 26th and 27th of January 2017 at Hotel Galadari, Colombo. “Antecedents of Face book Fan page loyalty: An Empirical Study of Sri Lankan Face book Users in Sri Lanka”
- A. Sachintha Tharindu Meegama & H.M.A. Lakmal, International Conference on Advanced Marketing organized by the University of Kelaniya on 26th and 27th of January 2017 at Hotel Galadari, Colombo. “Relationship between Dominant Social Paradigm and Environmental Concern in Sri Lankan Economy” – The presentation was awarded as the best presentation on the track: Sustainability, Corporate Social Responsibility, Green Marketing and Tourism
- Sachithra Somasiri & Dr. K.P.L. Chandralal, International Conference on Advanced Marketing organized by the University of Kelaniya on 26th & 27th of January 2017 at Hotel Galadari, Colombo. “Theorizing Deviant Consumer Socialization: with Special Reference to Compulsive Buying Behavior. A Review of Literature”
- Abstract presentation: Mr. M.A.N. Chandratilaka, ICIMHS 2017 held in Melbourne, Australia, on 03rd February 2017. “Enhancing Small and Medium Enterprises Access to Finance: The Opportunities and Challenges of Using Intellectual Property Rights as Collateral In Sri Lanka”
- Nishani Wickramaarachchi and Ms L.S. Rohanadeera, proceedings of the Annual sessions of Institute of Town Planners of Sri Lanka (ITPSL) held on 24th and 25th March 2017 at Pegasus Reef Hotel, Wattala. “Tourism and the Economy: Some Highlights from Sri Lanka”
- P.N.N. Pathirana, International Conference on Humanities and Social Science Organized by the University of Ruhuna on 28th and 29th March 2017
- P. Lalanie, 3rd Nanyang Graduate Student Colloquium organized by HSS Graduate Students Committee, in collaboration with HSS Global Asia Cluster and Humanities, Science, and Society Cluster of Nanyang Technological University, and Association for Public Affairs of National University of Singapore held in Singapore during February 2017. “An Empirical Study to Identify the Role of Agriculture on Economic Growth: Application of the VAR Model”
- L.A.P. Madhuwanthi, 6th International Conference on Advancement of Development Administration – 2017 (ICADA), organized by the National Institute of Development Administration (NIDA), Thailand. “Employers’ Attitudes towards Elderly Teachers in the Private Sector Schools in Sri Lanka”
- H. Rathnayake and B.N.F.Warnakulasooriya, International Conference in Marketing (ICOM) 2017, held at Movenpick Hotel Colombo from 25th to 26th May 2017. “Relationship between Social Class and Facebook Addiction; With Special Reference to Facebook Users in Sri Lanka”
- K.A.L.B.Kodithuwakku, and K. P. L. Chandralal, International Conference in Marketing (ICOM) 2017, held at Movenpick Hotel Colombo from 25th to 26th May 2017. “Factors Influencing the Switching Behavior of Mobile Telecommunication Service Consumers in Sri Lanka”
- M.Manawadu, W.D.C. Jayawickrama, and D.T Rathnayake, International Conference in Marketing (ICOM) 2017, held at Movenpick Hotel Colombo from 25th to 26th May 2017. “Impact of Patriotism on Consumer Ethnocentrism in Mobile Telecommunication Industry of Sri Lanka”
- G.Pavani Lakshika & Prof. Rohini Samarasinghe, International Conference of Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka on 3rd to 5th May 2017 at Grand Kandyan Hotel, Kandy. “Attitudes of People towards Facebook Advertising of Controversial Products: A Comparison of Different Ethnic Groups in Sri Lanka”
- M.D.S. Wijayarathne, International Conference on Management, Economics & Social Science (ICMESS) held in Bangkok, Thailand on 05th – 06th June 2017. “An Investigation on the Export barriers faced by SMEs in Sri Lanka; With Special Reference to Manufacturing Sector”
- A.T. Kaushalya, International Conference on Management, Economics & Social Science (ICMESS) held in Bangkok, Thailand on 05th – 06th June 2017. “Human Capital, Management Accounting Practices and Performance in Financial Industry”
- D.S.R Maheepala, B.N.F Warnakulasooriya, Y.K. Weerakoon Banda, Aston Spring Servitization Conference in Luzerne (University of Applied Sciences and Arts) Switzerland on 15th May. “Servitization of an industry and national competitive advantage in International Business: The case of Taiwan Textile Manufacturing and Sri Lankan Apparel Manufacturing Industries”.
- D.S.R Maheepala, B.N.F Warnakulasooriya, Y.K. Weerakoon Banda: poster session titled “Developing a reliable and valid scale to measure servitization” was selected as the best emerging paper in the servitization conference.
- J.S. Fernando, Miss. T.L. Nawarathne, and final year undergraduate, Miss. S.G.U.S. Chandrarathne, International Conference on Economics and Development (ICED 2017), held in Colombo. “What Labour Dynamics Attract FDI Inflows to South Asia?”
- Shanika Perera, 36th International conference on Management, Economics and & Social Science (ICMESS 2017) organized under 105th IIER International Conference by the International Institute of Engineers and Researchers held on 05th & 06th June 2017 in Bangkok, Thailand. “Factors affecting entrepreneurial intention among final year undergraduates: the moderating role of Gender”. She won the IIER Excellent Paper Award for the paper.
- Channa Gajanayaka, 36th International conference on Management, Economics and & Social Science (ICMESS 2017) organized under 105th IIER International Conference by the International Institute of Engineers and Researchers held on 05th & 06th June 2017 in Bangkok, Thailand. “The impact of human capital characteristics of SME entrepreneurs’ on access to debt finance”. He won the award for the IIER best presentation.
- D.N. Gunarathne, 21st Conference of the Environmental and Sustainability Management Accounting Network (EMAN), in Liège, Belgium held on 28th& 29th of June 2017. “The usefulness of Environmental and Sustainability Management Accounting (EMA) for corporate sustainability management in developed and developing countries: a comparative study between Australia and Sri Lanka” Co-authors: Lee, K-H. and D.M. Herold
- Duminda Kuruppuarachchi & Ishani Peires, Third APIIT Business and Technology Conference on 20th July 2017 at the Asia Pacific Institute of Information Technology, Colombo. “The Impact of Strategic Purchasing on Purchasing Performance in Sri Lanka Apparel Industry: Mediating Roles of Supplier Involvement and Development”
- Risini Ilangasinha & Dr. Dhammika Jayawardena, was awarded a bursary by The Critical Journal of Organization, Theory and Society, published by Sage publishers to present a paper at the 10th International Critical Management Studies Conference held in Liverpool, UK from 3rd to 5th July 2017. “Aestheticized Work Environment, Spirituality and the “Seduced” Manager: Breaking the silence of anesthetization of managerial life in Sri Lanka’s corporate sector”
- P.G.S.A. Jayarathne, International Conference on Social and Behavioural Sciences on 14th Aug 2017 in Singapore. “Mediating Role of Fashion Consciousness on Cosmopolitanism and Status Consumption of Young Fashion Consumers in Sri Lanka”
- P.D.K. Amitha Kumara, international Conference on Learning and Education 2017, Tokyo Japan. “Factors influencing the adoption of E-Learning in Sri Lankan higher education”
- Dr M.G.G. Thranganie, a conference held in Tokyo, Japan on October 23rd – 24th. “Career Management Practices in Sri Lanka: An Empirical Investigation”
- Dr (Mrs.) G.D.N Perera, a conference held in Tokyo, Japan on October 23rd – 24th. “Development of a Conceptual Framework on Performance Management Practices in Sri Lankan Listed Companies”
- K. Thalgaspitiy, 4th ICOA conference held at International University of Japan on 20th – 22nd October. “The Impact of Employer Branding on Retention among executive employees in domestic dairy manufacturing companies in Sri Lanka”
- D.H.C. Dasanayake, 12th International Conference on Management and Finance organized by the University of Colombo held at the Foundation Institute on 27th October 2017. “Enhancing Student Involvement through service package offered”