1. Centre for Water Quality and Algae Research – Faculty of Applied Sciences
Introduction Clean, safe and adequate drinking water is vital to the survival of all living organisms and functioning of the ecosystems. Water abstraction for domestic use, agricultural production, mining, industrial production, power generation, and forestry practices can lead to deterioration in water quality and quantity. Under natural or human influence water may contain harmful substances which make it unsuitable for consumption. These harmful substances may include metals such as mercury, lead and cadmium, pesticides, organic toxins, radioactive compounds and etc. In addition water from natural sources almost contain living organisms like bacteria, protisits, fungi and parasitic worms which are integral components of the biogeochemical cycles. Thus, the assessment of physical, chemical and biological parameters of water is obligatory to ensure safety of different water user categories. Highest standards of purity and quality in water is required for drinking purposes in comparison to, irrigational, agricultural and industrial water user categories.
However, unfortunately failures in provision of safe and clean water for above user categories have resulted in serious health issues in recent days. Especially the outbreaks of various water related diseases following recent floods and heavy rainfall in Sri Lanka are merely the results of sheer negligence of public regarding safe drinking water. The Centre for Water Quality and Algae Research at the University of Sri Jayewardenepura acts as a prominent research centre by providing scientific explanation on this matter through many research oriented postgraduate studies. Vision Enable University of Sri Jayewardenepura to achieve centre for excellence in water quality and algae research Mission To promote water quality research, strengthen research facilities in applied research to enhance research support to postgraduates, other researchers/scientists to find solution for water quality problem.
a. Strengthen research facility and conduct research on water quality and algae issues to understand the problem status and give/suggest solution.
b. To promote, research with water industry; special emphasis will be given to National Water Supply and Drainage Board (NWSDB) based on their requirement.
c. To encourage and strengthen co-operation among researchers who do research in water quality and cyanotoxins both in national and international level.
d. To provide access to such researchers to global scientific and technological research knowledge and such activity.
- Prof. Pathmalal Manage (Director) – Department of Zoology, University of Sri Jayewardenepura
- Dr. Kamal Ranathunga – Department of Zoology, University of Sri Jayewardenepura
- Dr. S.D.M. Chinthaka – Department of Chemistry, University of Sri Jayewardenepura
- Dr. C.D.P. Jayaweera – Department of Chemistry, University of Sri Jayewardenepura
- Dr. N. Kottegoda – Department of Chemistry, University of Sri Jayewardenepura – Ex-Officio y Senior Assistant Bursar – Invited
- Dr. Sujatha Pathirage – Head/Water and Food laboratory, Medical Research Institute, Sri Lanka – Invited
- Mr. R.R.P.N. Rathnayake – Water treatment specialist, Planning and Design Division, National Water Supply and Drainage Board, Galle Road, Rathmalana – Invited
High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC), Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELIZA) Machine, Laminar flow cabinet, UV vis Spectrophotometer, Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) Machine, UV transilluminator with Gel system, Top loading Autoclave, Manifold filtration system, Sonicator, E.coli incubator, Shaking incubator, Rotary Evaporator, Drying oven, Laminar flow, Freeze dryer (purchase in progress), Refrigerated centrifuge (purchase in progress), Manifold filtration system, Fluorescent Microscope (purchase in progress)