Establishing a strong research culture in the university is an achievable challenge in the presence of proper drive and motivation. Founding of a strong research culture in the university will not only help us achieve the world class status by improving the University’s rank locally and globally, but will also open up many other channels for further advancement as a higher education institute.
It is in this light, the Research Council has taken initiatives to promote and strengthen the research activities in the university. A logical and positive step towards that would be to recognize, support and encourage the academics, who conduct high quality research and publish them in recognized and indexed journals. Acknowledging such distinguished individuals through a fair rewarding mechanism would not only encourage them to pursue further research of higher standards, but would also surely entice the fellow academics to follow in their footsteps.
Thus the Vice Chancellor and the Research Council of the University of Sri Jayewardenepura have established a Research Award system to recognize and appreciate the contribution of academics who have conducted and published/presented their research at national and international conferences, peer reviewed and indexed journals.
This Research Award system is conducted through 11 categories where eligible candidates/departments/committee will be given monetary awards and certificates. The early career researcher award will be awarded to the best researcher less than 40 years and the Vice Chancellor’s award will be awarded to the best two researchers of the University following a stringent selection process.
Award Categories are as follows…
- An abstract published in local/foreign conference proceedings or symposium (only the applicants in the grades of lecturer-probationary and lecturer could apply)
- A full paper published in local/foreign conference proceedings
- A full paper published in a refereed/any indexed journal (Any indexing service other than listed in category 4 below)
- A full paper published in an indexed journal
Recognized Index journals are listed at http://www.isinet.com/journals under:
a. Science Citation Indexed Expanded (™) (Web of Science)
b. Social Sciences Citation Index® (Web of Science)
c. Arts and Humanities Citation Index (Web of Science)
d. Elsevier SCOPUS
e. Emerald Insight
f. Cabell’s International
- Researchers having the highest h-index for the year 2020
- To be considered for the category 5 awards, the researcher should have an h-index of 5 or more
- Three awards per each Faculty will be awarded
- 1st, 2nd and 3rd places will be awarded once in five years for the same candidate with effect from 2016
- Researchers having published 5 or more full papers in recognized indexed journals (Listed under section 4 above). Must cite University of Sri Jayewardenepura as the institutional affiliation.
- Researchers successfully completed P.hD/M.Phil degrees in year 2020/2021 under University Research Grants
- A PhD should be awarded within a period of 4 years and a MPhil within 3 years from the date of registration (A letter from the Assistant Registrar of the Faculty of Graduate Studies confirming dates of registration and completion of postgraduate degree should be submitted).
- Two indexed journal publications should have been published from the PhD study / One indexed journal publication should have been published from the M.Phil. study or A patent should be obtained that arising from the PhD/M.Phil, study.
- The award to be granted to the Principal Investigator and Co-investigators. (i.e., the award to be shared).
8. Early Career Researcher Award
- h-index should be 5 or more than 5
- Researcher should be in Senior Lecturer Grade II
- Researcher has to be less than 40 years by the deadline for the Research Award Applications
- Applicant should be the corresponding author and University of Sri Jayewardenepura affiliation and the University’s email address should be on the research article
- Award will be given to the candidate who has the highest cumulative impact factor for the full papers published in Index Journals(SCI/SSCI/AHCI/Elsevier SCOPUS/ Emerald Insight/ Cabell’s International)
- Senior Excellence Researcher Award (the names of the candidate/s to be nominated by the respective Research Committee and the Dean of each Faculty)
- Researcher should have been retired on or before 1st January 2020
- The h-index of the researcher should be 10 or more
- The award will be provided per publication in an indexed journal published under the Recognized Index journals, which are published during 2020: (journals listed under section 4 above)
- The publication should include University name as the author’s affiliation.
10.Researchers who have obtained external research grants
11. Vice Chancellor’s Award (Follow CVCD guidelines) (Two awards will be awarded based on the Science stream and the Social sciences and humanities stream using the criteria of the respective CVCD guidelines)
- Applicants have to be in permanent service at University of Sri Jayewardenepura for the last five years.
- No faculty member may receive the award more than once every five years.
You are requested to submit the hard copies of your articles to Co-Chairperson, Office of Research Council, 1st floor, Administration Building (Opposite of the Shroff Counter)
For any queries please contact: Research Council
Mobile: 0716308013 Ms. Dinusha
Mobile: 0716067241 Ms. Dayani
Mobile: 0712120792 Ms. Kushani
Please note that any false information, misinterpretation, omission of facts and failure to provide all or part of information shall be considered as a cause for disqualification of your application
Please note that awards will be considered only for the applied categories.
Deadline for submission for Research Awards 2020 is
03rd January 2022 extended to 10th January 2022
Submit using Research Award Application Tool:
University of Sri Jayewardenepura